Wednesday, November 28, 2007

My McDonalds Experience

This assignment is defiantly one that I won’t forget because of how strange it was to ask for a very specific order at a fast food restaurant. At first it seemed weird and easy to go and place an order, but it wasn’t so easy for the employees. In fact I found it pretty hard in placing the order because I felt a little strange asking for such a specific thing and the employee had a puzzled look on his face when I told him what I wanted. Also the employees did a poor job in fulfilling my order and they demonstrated no interest in trying to fulfill my order.
Well for one thing I had to restate my order about three times until the employee actually understood what I wanted and I also had to keep stressing that I wanted exactly four pickles in the burger, which he specified to the other woman who made my burger. He told her that I wanted a hamburger with extra pickles but I reminded him that I wanted exactly four. She also had a puzzled look in her face when he told her this because most of the orders were so simple and repetitive but mine caught her off guard. This obviously took a while for her to make because she was trying to get exactly four pickles on my burger and trying to get my order and other orders out as fast as possible. And as for the fries well I had to wait for another employee to fry my fries separately because the rest were fried with salt. After I left I wanted to see if the fries were salty and of course some of them were but for the most part they did not taste salty overall. This whole process took about fifteen minutes which I think is bad because usually it takes about five minutes with regular orders that consist of a whole meal. I don’t think I was treated the right way at all meaning that the employees demonstrated no customer service at all and they were not being helpful in fulfilling my order. The employees were basically taking orders and telling their co-workers in the kitchen what the customers wanted. In fact the customer service was so bad that my burger was not made correctly there were exactly five pickles on it, ketchup and onions. The employees obviously failed to compile with my order and they made my burger incorrectly even after I specified exactly what I wanted several times. It is understandable that this is a fast food restaurant but that does not mean the employees can not try to fulfill a simple order and demonstrate great customer service as well.
Basically the management process in this particular McDonald’s wasn’t so great and it defiantly needs improvement. Although the employees there do get the orders fast and they get to every customer. I think since it’s a fast food chain the employees and the company overall do not care enough about fulfilling exactly what the customer wants. Instead they are to busy trying to get the food to the customer in fast and easy way which obviously is a good thing. But that does not mean they should totally forget about satisfying there customers and treating them poorly. When I was placing my order I did not feel as if the employee really cared about what I exactly wanted, all he wanted to do was to get me out of the way as so as possible. All of the employees seemed to care about was trying to get the line down, which was shown through there speed.
I think that McDonald’s has great coordination meaning the company gets the orders out there and the employees work well to do this. But as far as communication and customer service they defiantly need to improve in this particular area. I think McDonalds needs to hire more bubbly and cooperative employees that will both work fast and fulfill every customer needs. They also need to train the current employees in maintain a positive attitude and speed, train them in multi-tasking. And this of course needs to be stressed my higher management in order for it to work and for the employees to learn because I am sure that if I went to some diner my order would have fulfilled. Since diners not only want to get the food out fast but also to get the customers to keep coming back. And I think McDonalds should try to compile with this idea so that the customers come back. It is safe to say that McDonalds is a well-established franchise but in order for it grows the company has to start looking into crating other types of orders. Also I think that reason as to why these employees had problems in fulfilling my order because they are so use to the same types of orders overall, that the burgers have an overall way to be made and that there is no other way to make them. The same goes for the fries it is as if the company has a set idea in which all the fries must be salty but as we all know everyone has different preferences. So this shows how McDonalds is doing a bad job satisfying its customers because they are not crating towards the idea that not every customer wants a burger with cheese and ketchup that maybe a customer might want a plain burger with exactly four pickles. Overall McDonalds needs to get with process of trying to satisfy the needs of the customers and to try to incorporate the idea of fast service and satisfaction into a mission statement. And as the employees need to be willing to help there customers and make the customer feel as if they employee cares about what he/she wants. Basically in this day and age no matter how great your product might be the only way it will survive and continue to survive is if the customer feels that you care about fulfilling their needs.

No comments: